Friday, November 14, 2008

The game of RISK

Many years ago my family played the game of RISK. It got to be more of an obsession than just a means to pass time with a family game. We played religiously every Friday night. The winner was even awarded a giant belt similar to the one worn by wrestlers in the WWF. The board game itself wasn't big enough to accommodate all of the people we had playing each weekend so we created a larger version of the game out of several kinds of wood, stain, and a wood carver. I spent probably 2 days on the art work alone. On each side of the board was even a rolling tray for the dice. The whole thing took a little over 2 months to create, and up until now has just hung on our basement wall. As I was redecorating the basement in preparation for the holidays, it occured to me that I have dirt from almost all of the different countries on our risk board. Whalaaaa...the new display case for my dirt collection. Complete with velcro in order to remove and admire the dirt, it holds about 200 samples. Needless to say, it was filled up quickly. The whole display takes up an entire wall. I L.O.V.E. it! Now the only question is where do I put the other 200 bottles?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is an awesome idea!

Unknown said...

Totaly cool. Awesome display.