Friday, October 17, 2008

I get by with a little help from my friends

Working for the Hampton Brand of hotels is very rewarding. Not only do they do an outstanding job of marketing (thus the title of this post) but they also bring in some great clients for me to meet. A couple of years ago when I was the Director of Sales, I got to have some really special people stay at our property. Because they were extended stay guests, we at the hotel got to know them very well. One in particular was John Cornish. John had a true appreciation for my dirt collection because his line of work is in the mineral industry. I really believe when I first told him about my collection he thought I might be pulling his leg. But after some details that I offered him he became a believer and told me that I should really get started on categorizing, labeling, and journaling about each of my samples. To help me out he quickly gave me samples from his hometown too. So John, in case you are reading this, YOU were the inspiration and motivation for my blog site! John has LOTS of connections within the industry and gave me the following links to some websites that others might be interested in viewing. I was surprised to find out that there is actually one entitled sandcollectors.org. Maybe some day, there will be one called, dirtcollectors! Either way, I know I couldn't have the great collection I do if it weren't for the John Cornishs' in the world. Shown below are his donations from Port Angeles, Washington and Hollywood Beach. The black and white grains remind me of salt and pepper. It is so beautiful I'm afraid the picture doesn't do it justice. Another website of interest John suggested is mindat.org. I am sure there are many more. If you know of some, send me the link and I will gladly add it on. There is so much out there to explore! I can't find them all by myself, but I get by with a little help from my friends.




Port Angeles, Washington
Hollywood Beach

No comments: